February 2020 Header


Everyone loves a holiday and the chance to get away from the hum drum of daily life. But not being fully prepared for your travels could cause unnecessary stress, anxiety and costs. We’ll take you through good planning for your travels, handy advice on things like insurance, budgeting and tips on what you should look out for.

Feb 2020 Headers

If you’re planning a holiday and the unexpected happens, travel insurance cover could protect you from hefty costs and medical bills. No one wants to be thinking of accidents or incidents while they’re on holiday, but if the worst does happen, the right policy can be indispensable.

Why is travel insurance important?

Imagine if you, or one of your family members, were injured or became ill during your holiday. Emergency medical treatment in another country can be very expensive. And depending where you go, public hospitals could be very basic indeed.

According to the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA), 1 in 5 Brits has needed some kind of medical treatment while abroad. Yet as many as 10 million holidaymakers travel without the right travel insurance, or even no travel insurance at all.

The average cost of a medical claim of £1,300 has risen by 40% in recent years. But it’s not uncommon for medical treatment to run into thousands. Treatment in a USA hospital for a stomach bug alone could set you back £100,000.

If you’re faced with a medical emergency, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office cannot pay for treatment or fly you home. However, a standard travel insurance policy can cover your medical costs while abroad, and even arrange repatriation flights if it’s medically necessary.

But is travel insurance a legal requirement?

No, you’re not legally required to have travel insurance. Some tour operators will insist you have a policy in place before they confirm your travel, especially to countries like the USA where there’s no public health service.

For peace of mind, you should ensure you and your loved ones are properly covered on holiday. Accidents can happen and they’re more difficult to deal with away from home. It’s not worth leaving it to chance when the costs could be so high.

legal travel

Do I need travel insurance for Europe?

Yes – even when travelling in Europe insurance is a wise idea. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is also a good addition to your travel documentation. As the Foreign and Commonwealth Office explains, the EHIC ‘is not an alternative to travel insurance’ and recommends having both an EHIC and separate travel insurance when visiting Europe.

The EHIC will only cover emergency medical care in the local equivalent of an NHS hospital. It won’t cover treatment if you’re taken to a private hospital.

UK residents can use their EHIC during the Brexit negotiations, until the UK is scheduled to leave the EU on 31 January 2020. The UK Government has proposed a scheme similar to the EHIC in the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, and consequently the EHIC no longer being usable. However, the implementation of that scheme is subject to EU countries agreeing to that proposal.

Feb 2020 Headers2
You can choose from a wide variety of travel insurance policies depending on your needs. To ensure you get the right cover, you’ll also need to consider factors such as:
Feb 2020   12Whatever your circumstances, it should be possible to find the right level of cover that’s tailored to suit your needs. Examples include:

Feb 2020   13

If you’re pregnant or have a pre-existing medical condition, ensure you check whether your condition is covered. You may need to add extra cover or opt for a special insurance policy that will cater to your specific needs.

accident abroad header feb

Most holidaymakers don't claim on travel insurance, but what risk are you taking if you travel without it? According to data from trade body the Association of British Insurers, the average travel insurance medical claim between 2011 and 2016 was £1,300, but this number can easily run far higher.

Many countries have vastly more expensive healthcare systems than Britain's, and injuries or illnesses that require significant time in hospital or repatriation via air ambulance can ramp up costs quickly.

Suffering an accident or illness at any time is stressful enough, but if an incident occurs while you are in a foreign country, the negative impact on your life and your family is likely to be heightened.

This was the case for Tim and his family. Tim was on holiday in Cyprus when he was in a serious accident, he was found unconscious and required repatriation to the UK. Unfortunately, Tim had no travel insurance and was therefore stuck in Cyprus. In order for Tim’s family to bring him home, Tim’s mum started a ‘Go Fund Me’ page and raised £21000 for the costs of repatriation back to the UK. The funding would cover the costs of a dedicated air ambulance which would safely transport Tim to Brighton for further care and recovery. Throughout the process of repatriation Tim remained unconscious with minimal responsivity.

The repatriation team required payment upfront, despite the funds being raised they were not quickly accessible from the ‘Go Fund Me’ page. The Electrical Industries Charity were contacted by Tim’s employer, an Electrical Wholesaler, for support. The EIC immediately intervened and provided the £25000 which was required to cover the cost of repatriation. Once the funds raised from the ‘Go Fund Me’ page were released the family returned the £21000 to the charity.

Whether it’s a summer break, romantic city trip away, winter ski retreat, or an escape to the country, the last thing you think will happen is to fall victim to an injury or illness whilst on holiday.

Unfortunately, every year holidaymakers risk accident, injury or illness while abroad, and many find that they have not considered the risks before they travel. An accident or injury on holiday can end up costing you a fortune – not to mention ruining your trip.

accident abroad

EIC is on hand to help during tough times in order to make it that little bit easier. Through its Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), which is funded by powerLottery, the Electrical Industries Charity (EIC) provides people within the electrical sector with a wide range of support services, which offer legal and debt advice, practical assistance, financial grants and other help to support both the person directly affected and their family members.

The EIC support team has continued to stay in regular contact with Tim’s mum to provide support. Tim is making very slow progress and has recently moved to a rehabilitation clinic in Putney, he is still unconscious, his eyes are open, but he cannot communicate, and we are not sure if he is even aware of what is going on around him. He has zero control of any part of his body.

It is not certain if or when he will wake up, but if Tim does regain consciousness, he will require long term rehabilitation. The charity supported Tim’s mum with informing the relevant service providers that Tim is ill and unable to maintain his finances, in most cases the accounts have been frozen. The charity has also paid for the travel costs for her to visit Tim 7 days a week at the hospital. We have initiated a solicitor to submit a Deputyship application to the Court of Protection and this will allow Tim’s mum to make decisions on his behalf in relation to his finances and welfare.

The EIC will continue to support Tim and his mum during his expected long-term rehabilitation and recovery, we hope that in time Tim will regain functioning and be able to return to work in a supported capacity.

Thanks to support from the industry, every year the Electrical Industries Charity is able to offer hundreds of our industry colleagues both practical and emotional support during their time of need.

If you or someone you know is struggling to deal with a traumatic event and requires support, please contact the EIC support team: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 0800 652 1618.

Feb 2020 Headers3

The right policy can also cover theft, loss or damage to your baggage and personal possessions.

Your baggage can go astray when you’re travelling. In 2017, according to the Association of British Insurers (ABI), 86,000 people received £17 million of support following their baggage being delayed and money lost while travelling. And if you lose your passport, cards and phone, then it’s a relief to have an insurance provider on hand to provide 24-hour assistance.

Check to see if your insurance provider includes baggage protection in their standard travel insurance policy. If not, ask if you can get extra cover added. Alternatively, you could consider separate baggage insurance cover.
Feb 2020   14 v2

In 2017, £145 million was paid out on 174,000 claims for cancelled holidays, says the ABI. Cancellations and delays will only be covered for valid reasons specified in your policy. If an airline offers compensation, most travel insurance providers won’t pay out. And those that do will only usually cover the difference on top of the airline’s compensation. Another reason to check the small print carefully.

Standard travel insurance can differ between providers, so always read their terms and conditions carefully before committing to a policy to ensure you have the level of cover you want.

If you’re planning a more adventurous holiday, you may need to add extra cover to your policy, or even look for a specialist insurance provider who covers more extreme activities.

Also, be aware that if you’re travelling to a country that the FCO advises against, your travel insurance policy may be invalid. Check their relevant country travel advice pages for updates on your chosen destination.

Check your policy details carefully if you’re intending to do any sports activities while away. Sports cover can vary greatly between insurance providers, so you’ll need to make a note of what’s included and excluded in their standard policies. This is especially important for winter sports and water sports. Again, you may need extra cover or specialist insurance if your chosen activity isn’t covered.

Britons spend more than double the cost of an average single trip travel insurance policy on magazines and sweets at the airport.
Source: Association of British Insurers

One in three claims on travel insurance is for medical treatment.
Source: Money Advice Service

Feb 2020 Headers4

There are some common things you should watch out for: 
  • If you’re over 65 or have a medical condition, you might need specialist insurance. If you have a medical condition you have to tell your insurer if asked or risk invalidating your insurance policy. When you buy insurance, you must answer all questions about your circumstances and health honestly. You have to include everything, even if you think it’s not important, for example taking regular tablets for high blood pressure or angina. If you don’t your policy won’t be valid.
  • Adventure sports, winter sports and any ‘dangerous activities’ are often not covered as part of a standard travel insurance policy and you might need extra cover.
  • With most policies, you aren’t covered for travel to countries or regions that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office recommends avoiding – 
    view the latest list on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website
  • Coverage for strikes, civil unrest, earthquakes, acts of terrorism and epidemics such as SARS varies. 

Because travel insurance policies vary, we’ve prepared some guides to help you find the specific information – and cover – you need.
Travel insurance for over 65s and medical conditions
Travel insurance – choose the right policy and cover
Travel insurance – what does a good policy look like?

travel insurance1

Feb 2020 Header v3

For those who never travel with it, you’ll hear things like “Oh, it doesn’t matter if you lose your bags, just travel light with stuff you can afford to replace” or “Medical bills in South East Asia are pretty cheap if you need to get over Bali belly” or our favourite “Travel insurance companies will just tell you the horror stories to get you to buy insurance”.

The last one is unashamedly true. We absolutely want you to know we’ve had to deal with thousands of emergencies and evacuations over the years. We want you to know that without travel insurance, an emergency evacuation can cost in excess of USD$100,000.

In most cases your travels with go without a hitch. You’ll not have to experience the nightmare of being seriously ill or injured in a foreign country. But if you do, the last thing you want is not having the support or financial means by which to get treated and flown home.

For that alone, travel insurance is worth every cent.

It can however be a little confusing, so let’s try and demystify travel insurance. There are times when certain terms will have various restrictions, limits and exclusions, which only the description of coverage (policy wording) can fully explain.

The 5 key parts of travel insurance
Travel insurance is ultimately a legal contract created by lawyers and you should spend the time to read the fine print and description of coverage (policy wording) thoroughly and ask questions if you don't understand what you're covered for.

travel ins

Here we outline simply what each major part actually does:

1. Medical Emergencies & Evacuation
As mentioned above, if there is one reason to buy travel insurance, this is it. Hospital costs in the USA can approach $10,000 per day, while emergency transport home for treatment (medical evacuation) can easily exceed $100,000. Definitely take the time to read this part in detail, especially the areas of cover for emergency evacuation, limits on medical expenses and cover for emergency dental work. Also make careful note of the general exclusions, which are outlined in the description of coverage (policy wording).

2. Trip Cancellation
This covers you for costs if you suddenly find you can't go on your trip for some unforeseen reason such as illness, an accident or a death of a close relative. The important thing to remember here is that for this section to be useful, you have to buy travel insurance when you start booking tickets and not the week before you leave.

Not all travel insurance plans cover cancellation, and only some cover your non-refundable, pre-booked costs if your trip is interrupted after you've left home, so please read the description of coverage (policy wording) relevant to you carefully.

3. Baggage & Personal Belongings
While loss of your personal belongings is often the main reason most people buy travel insurance, it is arguably the least important: your things can be replaced but your health often can't. World Nomads expects you to take 'reasonable care' of your belongings which means a claim may be denied if you leave your camera in a shared room in a hostel or in your car overnight (unsupervised in a public place) and it's stolen.

If you are taking your laptop, camera and other valuables with you, some of our travel insurance plans allow you to specify these items to cover their higher value. Check your policy benefits and description of coverage (policy wording) carefully for the limits on this cover and exclusions, particularly for cash, high value items and sporting equipment.

4. Personal Liability
First off, this is not insurance for liability while you are driving your car. If you are involved in an accident or accidentally cause damage and are held accountable for it, insurance can cover your liability and legal expenses. Once again not all World Nomads insurers offer this type of cover so please read the description of coverage (policy wording) relevant to you.

5. Coming Home Early & Resuming Your Trip
Travel insurance usually ends the minute you arrive home, so if you have bought a policy for 12 months and come home after 4, you aren't entitled to a refund on the 'unused' portion. For some of our policies, you can resume your trip on the same policy; you just won't be covered for the time you're at home. Read the description of coverage (policy wording) and look at the clauses for period of cover and the terms "medical evacuation", "trip interruption" or "curtailment" for details on when you may be covered for expenses if you have to return home early (and always read the exclusions to cover carefully).
Not all travel insurance is the same:
All travel insurance policies have specific benefits and exclusions so it's common sense, imperative, and absolutely necessary to take the time to read the policy wording carefully. These vary depending depending on which country you are from, so please take the time and always contact us if you are unsure about anything.
Feb 2020 Headers6
Travel Insurance Payout
In 2017, there was a travel insurance claim every minute – but what was being claimed for?
  • 510,000 individuals and families claimed on travel insurance in 2017
  • £385 million was paid out by travel insurers in 2017
  • The majority of claims were made for medical expenses, totalling £210 million
  • The average medical expense claim was £1,300
  • 159,000 Brits required medical treatment in 2017
  • While 174,000 Brits claimed for cancelled holidays, 15,000 more than in 2016
  • The total payout for cancelled holidays was £145 million
  • £17 million was paid out to 86,000 people for lost baggage and money whilst travelling
insurance payouts
Feb 2020 Headers7
Saving up for a holiday and paying for it with cash is usually the best option for your finances. When you don’t have to borrow money, you’ll come home relaxed, not restless with money worries. Here you can find a step-by-step guide on how you could save up for your next holiday.

Feb 2020 Headers8
Vigilance is all-important when you are traveling to foreign countries. When you are in unfamiliar territory, you cannot take anything for granted. You have to be more careful than usual, since you won’t be able to access home support and backup. Here are 35 ways to travel abroad safe and sound.
Research your destination beforehand:
1. Understand local cultures, rules, laws, crime rates, weather conditions, attitudes, etiquette, price of things and similar information.
2. Find out which areas of your destination are considered safe and which are considered shady.
3. Read up on common scams and crimes in your destination area.
4. Read local reports on the internet and follow up on current events, especially any political unrest.
5. Learn what could be termed offensive behaviour at your destination, to avoid provoking people by accident.

What to do before leaving home:
6. Take only as much with you as you absolutely need during your travel. The less you take with you, the less your loss in case of theft.
7. Don’t carry expensive gadgets; leave your fancy phone, headphones and music system at home.
8. Take copies of your passport, fronts and backs of your credit, debit and prepaid ATM cards, traveller’s checks and other travel documents. Keep a set of the copies in your luggage and one set in your jacket. If any document gets stolen, you can take the copy to your local embassy.
9. Convert some of your dollars into travellers’ checks, some cards and some cash in destination-local currency in small denominations.
10. Before leaving on your trip, visit your state department’s website and obtain travel advisories for your destination country.
11. Take copies of your itinerary and leave them with family and friends at home. Whenever you move to a different locality or register in a new hotel, message the contact numbers and contact people’s names to your family.
12. If you want to drive while abroad, obtain an international driving permit in advance from your local motor vehicle authority.
13. If you’re carrying medication, leave some of them in your luggage, some in your pocket and some in your carry-on luggage.
14. If you’re a diabetic or if you suffer from any other disease, carry a note from your doctor, along with your prescription and latest health reports.

What to do at your destination:
Use these tips to stay safe, healthy and sound at your destination.
15. Contact doctors at your country’s embassy at your destination and inform them about your health needs if any. They’ll be available for contact during emergencies.
16.   Register your international driver’s license with your country’s embassy in your destination city. If anything happens on the road, your embassy will have contact information for you and will contact your family.
17.   Buy a cheap phone and get a local SIM card with international calling facility.

Keep Your money and valuables safe:
18.   Don’t carry all your cash in your wallet. Every time you open your wallet, you risk exposure. Hide a bit of your cash in a hidden compartment in your luggage and your clothing.
19.   Use your debit or credit card to make purchases as much as possible, unless the charges are too high. Use cash only at cash-only outlets.
20.   Keep your valuables such as jewellery and costly purchases under lock and key in the main hotel safe.
21.   Keep your wallet in your inner jacket pocket so that it won’t be easy to steal it. Carrying a money belt under your jacket is also a good idea.

Be aware of your surroundings - (pickpockets)
Use these tips to stay safe, healthy and sound at your destination:
22.   Don’t get fully engrossed in the sights. Make sure you look around now and then; being aware of any suspicious looking people can help prevent thefts and other crimes.
23.   Get hold of the phone numbers for the local authorities whenever you travel to a new destination. Report a crime over phone the moment it occurs and follow it up with a written complaint.
24.   Carry a map with you and check your route so that you know exactly where you’re going and how to get there. This will prevent you from asking directions of strangers and being led through a merry-go-round.
25.   Travel with pairs as much as possible. Solo travellers are usually targeted more often by criminals than those in a group.
26.   Follow night-time curfew rules if any. Avoid walking around in a strange area during the night.
street market

Resist street transactions:
27.   In countries where the crime rate is high, manage your foreign exchange, taxi booking and other necessities with government approved agencies. Resist dealing with currency exchangers, gypsy taxis and street vendors.
28.   Even though tourist sites tend to attract crooks, they also enjoy a heavier police presence. It’s best to sign up for tours from your hotel or a reputable agency.
29.   Don’t get into a battle of words with people you don’t know. This is how con people operate; they try to engage you in a conversation and try to lead you astray.

Try to blend in:
30.   Blend in as much as possible to avoid standing out as a tourist. This reduces your likelihood of being targeted for theft.
31.   Learn a bit of the local language, at least enough to get answers to basic questions.

Select the right accommodation:
32.   Hostels are cheap when compared to other options but talk to people who stay at the hostel before you register. In some countries, hostels are not known for maintaining hygiene.
33.   Be careful not to entertain any talks with hotel or hostel management. In some countries, foreign tourists are targeted by pimps at hotels, pretending to be regular folk.
35.   Explore home stays in clean areas; these are economical and provide a great chance to network with honest local people.

Feb 2020 Headers9

If you're involved in an accident abroad, expect to have to cover the cost of any medical treatment yourself, and then claim it back later. Check your insurance cover and find out what you are entitled to, and if there's likely to be a lengthy stay in hospital make enquiries about repatriation too.
If you have an accident:

  • Report the accident immediately to your holiday rep or someone in authority.
  • Get hold of an accident book and make sure that the details are recorded.
  • Take the details of any witnesses.
  • Take photographs of the area the accident happened in, and evidence of any damage.
  • Keep records of the dates of any visits you make to doctors, clinics or hospital, and any days where you had to do change plans because of the accident, such as missing an excursion or needing to pay for transport to hospital.
  • Keep all your receipts for anything medical or accident related.

Feb 2020 Headers10

There are a number of requirements you might not be aware for when driving in Europe, so it's worth downloading our checklist, as well as reading this guide carefully to find out everything you need to drive in Europe.

We also recommend purchasing a European driving kit as they can prove essential in some countries where it is the law to carry additional items in your car.

European driving checklist:
This essential checklist will tell you everything you need to know for driving in Europe, from what to take with you to things to remember when you get there.

Important documents for driving in Europe

  1. Full, valid driving licence and national insurance number
  2. Proof of vehicle insurance
  3. Proof of ID (passport)
  4. V5C certificate (the 'logbook')
  5. Travel insurance documents
  6. European Breakdown Cover policy number and documents
  7. Before you travel ensure your vehicle’s tax and MOT are valid and up to date
  8. Crit’air sticker if driving in France (find out if you need one here)

You may also need to carry other documents with you following the UK's exit from the European Union, namely:

driving in europe

Required equipment for driving in Europe:
1. Reflective jackets (there must be one for each passenger and be kept within the cabin of the car)
2. Warning triangle (compulsory in most countries)
3. Headlamp beam deflectors (depending on your car, you’ll either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually)
4. Safety helmets are compulsory for riders and passengers of motorcyclists and moped users
5. GB car sticker (if you don’t have a GB Euro number plate)
6. First aid kit (compulsory in Austria, France and Germany)

Recommended things to take with you for driving in Europe:

  1. Fire extinguisher
  2. Replacement bulbs
  3. A high quality torch
  4. A spare fuel can
  5. Additional engine oil and water (for topping up)
  6. An up-to-date road map or satellite navigation system
  7. Blanket
  8. Sun cream
  9. Refreshments and plenty of water
  10. If you have children, take some games you can play in the car during the journey
  11. Take extra supplies of medication in case you can’t get these abroad
  12. Photocopies of important documents
  13. European Health Insurance card
    Feb 2020 Headers11

If you're involved in a road accident on holiday there may be extra complications and difficulties to deal with.  This page explains what you should do if you're involved in a road accident while travelling abroad.

At the scene of the accident:
If you're involved in a road accident abroad, make sure the police are called and that you get a copy of the police report. If you don’t understand what you're being told, ask for an interpreter. If possible:

  • Make notes about what happened
  • Get photographs of the accident - including pictures of the number plates of the other vehicles involved and their positions
  • Exchange insurance details
  • Take the names and addresses of as many witnesses as possible
  • Don't admit liability or apologise.

If you’re driving in Europe, you may have been given a European Accident Statement (EAS) by your insurance company or one may be provided at the scene of the accident. The European Accident Statement (EAS) is a standard form available throughout Europe in various languages. The EAS helps get an agreed statement of facts about the accident and can help with insurance claims. Only sign the EAS when you're sure that you understand the situation. Make sure you’re given a copy of the accident statement.

What happens next?
You should contact your insurer as soon as possible. What happens next will depend on whether the vehicle you were driving was hired and what kind of insurance cover you have arranged.

You were driving with your own vehicle:
Make sure you tell your insurer about the accident as soon as you can, even if you don’t want to make a claim. Insurance policies have a time limit for reporting accidents and if you fail to meet this you may not be covered. You should give your insurance firm as much information about the accident as you can, as it will help them process your claim.

You should check your car insurance is valid abroad before you travel. Ideally, contact your insurer at least a month before taking your vehicle abroad. If you haven’t checked your policy, you may find that you don’t have the same level of insurance as at home. Many insurers offer third-party cover while overseas, not comprehensive cover. This could leave you out-of-pocket if there is damage to your car. If you are going to be driving outside the European Union you should also apply for a Green Card, which proves you have the minimum legal requirement of third-party liability insurance. You can usually get a Green Card from your insurer who may charge you a small fee.

You were driving a hire car:
When driving a hire car, it’s especially important to report even minor accidents to the local police before you come back to the UK. Car hire firms may insist accidents are reported and this can be very difficult once you’ve left the country. Make sure you do not admit liability as this can affect your car hire insurance claim. Contact your car hire company as soon as possible. Some car hire firms have an assistance number in the UK which you should be able to find in your contract. Make sure that you give the company as much information as possible about the accident. Once you are home, write to the company with a full report of the accident. Never have a hire car repaired without getting the approval of the hire company first.

You’ll need to check the terms and conditions of the insurance you took out when you hired the car to see what charges you may be liable for.

road accident eu

Accidents with uninsured drivers:
If the accident happened in:
• a European Union country
• Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland
and was caused by an uninsured driver, you may be able to claim compensation from the country where the accident happened. You claim through the country’s equivalent of the Motor Insurers' Bureau. You can find out more information about this from your insurance company or the British Embassy where you are staying.

Driving in EU post Brexit

The rules around driving in the European Union (EU), and EU nationals driving in the United Kingdom (UK), will potentially change when the UK leaves the EU after Brexit. Here’s what you need to do to get ready for the changes when the UK leaves the EU on 31 January 2020.

Will my motor insurance policy continue to be valid in the EU or EEA?
UK leaves either with or without a deal:
If you’re driving a UK-registered and insured vehicle with a fully comprehensive UK motor insurance policy, you will continue to have third party motor insurance cover for travel to EU or European Economic Area (EEA) countries.

UK leaves without a deal:
From 31 January 2020 under a no deal Brexit, you’ll need to carry an insurance green card when driving in the EU, EEA and all other countries that recognise green cards. These can take from a week and up to a month to process and are usually provided free of charge from your insurance provider. Check with your provider how long it will take. Green cards typically last for up to 90 days. If you’re driving again in a country that recognises green cards, you’ll need to get another one from your insurer. If you’re driving a vehicle that is registered and insured in your host country, such as a local rental car, you won’t need a green card. You may also need to put a GB sticker on your vehicle, even if it already has a Euro-plate, which is a number plate displaying both the EU flag and a GB sign. You won’t need a GB sticker to drive outside the UK if you swap a Euro-plate with a number plate that only has a GB sign and not the EU flag.

Will my driving licence still be valid for driving in the EU and EEA and will I need any other permits?
UK leaves either with or without a deal:
When the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK drivers may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and EEA.
An IDP costs £5.50, and you’ll need to get it before you travel from the Post Office.

There are three types of IDP, and which one you need will depend on the country you’re travelling to:

  • 1949 Convention IDP, will be valid in Ireland, Spain, Malta and Cyprus and lasts for 12 months.
  • 1968 Convention IDP, will be valid in all other EU countries as well as Norway and Switzerland, and lasts for three years.
  • 1926 permit to drive in Liechtenstein.

On 28 March 2019, some countries stopped recognising 1926 and 1949 IDPs issued by the UK. Instead you may need a 1968 IDP to drive in these countries.

Check which type of IDP you need to ensure that you have the correct documentation for your travels.

If you’re driving through multiple countries which require different types of IDP – for example, if you’re visiting both France and Spain – you’ll need to get both types of permit, meaning you would pay £11 in total.

Along with the above, you may also need to put a GB sticker on your vehicle, even if it already has a Euro-plate, which is a number plate displaying both the EU flag and a GB sign.

You won’t need a GB sticker to drive outside the UK if you swap a Euro-plate with a number plate that only has a GB sign and not the EU flag.

Will I need to carry any additional paperwork when driving in the EU?
UK leaves without a deal:
From 31 January 2020 under a no deal Brexit, you’ll need to carry an insurance green card when driving in the EU, EEA and all other countries that recognise green cards. These can take from a week and up to a month to process and are usually provided free of charge from your insurance provider. Check with your provider how long it will take. Green cards typically last for up to 90 days. If you’re driving again in a country that recognises green cards, you’ll need to get another one from your insurer. If you’re driving a vehicle that is registered and insured in your host country, such as a local rental car, you won’t need a green card. You may also need to put a GB sticker on your vehicle, even if it already has a Euro-plate, which is a number plate displaying both the EU flag and a GB sign. You won’t need a GB sticker to drive outside the UK if you swap a Euro-plate with a number plate that only has a GB sign and not the EU flag.

January img2

February 2020 Useful Links2
February 2020 Useful Links
February 2020 Useful Links3