Mental Health First Aiders have:
- An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support - whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, The Electrical Industries Charity, the NHS, or a mix
What to expect:
Through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions, each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan.
Everyone who completes the course gets:
- A MHFA manual to keep and refer to whenever they need it
- A MHFA workbook including a helpful toolkit to support their own mental health
- EIC Workplace items – Posters, Postcards and Wallet Cards
- EIC guide to our support tools & services leaflet
- An official MHFA certificate to say they are a Mental Health First Aider.
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Stigma and discrimination
- What is depression?
- Symptoms of depression
- Risk factors for depression
- Depression in the workplace
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid for suicidal crisis
- Non-judgemental listening skills
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
- Cognitive distortions and CBT
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
- What is psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using Mental Health First Aider